The main task of the Institute is to conduct high quality research in the areas which are the focus of the world's science and technology. The most important fields of the Institute's expertise include theoretical and applied mechanics, theory of coupled mechanical and physical fields, theoretical and experimental mechanics of materials and structures, computational sciences, acoustoelectronics, and ultrasonic medical diagnostics. Extensive research is also conducted in several branches of fundamental science and technology, such as: physics and thermodynamics of continua; plasma physics; stochastic dynamics; fluid mechanics; laser beam interaction with metal surfaces, nanophotonics, applied mathematics, applied informatics, and bio-informatics.
- To be the reference centre of scientific and technological excellence, radical innovation and implementation of technology achievements into Polish scientific and industrial environment.
- To start up and participate in activities related to multifunctional materials, polymers, smart materials and technologies, biomedical applications of ultrasound and microfluidic technologies, applied information science, and innovation technologies.
- To provide first-rate PhD education in contemporary technology, mechanics, acoustics, computing, and its advances related to biomedical applications, enhanced by internationalization, links with industry, and the encouragement of a discovery spirit.
- To promote, support, drive and implement research and technology transfer initiatives and activities and links with industry and commerce to contribute to the sustainable development of society.
- The Institute has an extensive experience in international co-operation particularly in the area of international Research and Technology Development projects (RTD). It resulted in establishing the EU National Contact Point for Research Programmes Horizon 2020 in the Institute, responsible for information and advisory support concerning participation of Polish researchers and enterprises in the EU Framework Programmes (starting from the 5th FP, through 6th and 7th FP and now Horizon 2020 ). In order to concentrate the Institute's potential in the most promising and innovative areas, the Institute participates in several highly specialized research consortia.
- Great importance is attributed to various forms of co-operation with industry. Together with the results of scientific research, the Institute has developed a wide range of modern technologies, a considerable number of original measurement and diagnostic equipment, both engineering and medical, and a number of innovative computer programmes. These products were developed in close cooperation with industrial partners.